Tuesday 24 January 2012

Education in Myanmar


I am not an educational psychologist or expert in education. But as a citizen of Myanmar, and studied in Myanmar, I just want to highlight the current educational system of Myanmar.  I understand that this is not an easy task to change in a single day, but we should work together to a new education system since Myanmar is moving forward with a strong momentum today.
First, Myanmar education system sees the world as closed system. This means that we are taught in a narrow way. I don’t mean that we are not explored to the world. There are many good things that we learn in school compare to other countries too. But we are not allowed to discuss in the class, not to talk in the class, not to share our insights in the class. Of course, there might be some reasons that they have this system. However, today the world is changing rapidly and all the children are also not the children of the past. They are explored to the world , even the things that the adults could not reach. Even many teachers cannot cope with the things that their students are doing. Therefore, rather than having some fixed subjects in the class, there must be some subjects which are relevant to the students today. This means, the whole Myanmar is not the same, Shan State might be different from Rakhine State. Likewise there are many diversities in the country. If we could have subjects such as --Tribal Cultural Studies, Community development, Ethics – mentioning what came to my mind, these subjects will be really useful to our students. What I really mean is the subjects which are really useful for our students. I learn Chemistry in  my middle school and high school. But it is not useful for me when I finished studies. Actually, I should learn painting, drawing, writing and agricultural subjects in school.
                Another thing is how we deal with our students. I think there is something wrong with children, those who are in primary school.  When I read Myanmar text book, it is mentioned that kids are to listen to teacher and to repeat the words of Myanmar vocabulary, rather than writing them one by one. But nowadays, even preschool kids are taught to write not only words, but even big vocabularies. If the kids are able to follow, it is nothing wrong. However, when we see the kids, they are very tired in school. Many parents are happy for this. I think this is wrong. Schools start at 8.30 AM and finish by 3.30 PM. Then sometimes, they have classes even on Saturdays. Some kids want to take tuition classes too. For these kids, their life is ruined. They have to grow naturally rather than growing in a limited box. If we can have more free times in schools, community and even summer holidays, these kids will be excellent in their education.
                Finally, in Myanmar, especially Private schools are coming up today. They want to focus on excellency of their students, their school and curriculum. This is good. They want to force their children to learn more things than they can learn. This is what I feel. Let our children grow naturally. They will make changes in our societies. In Myanmar, we push our children when they are young, but when they are in universities, they don’t have anything to do. They waste their time in university. I think we should change this.  We should prescribe subjects which are compulsory for kids and they will learn. For adults, after high school, they need to make it in their professional area.
I am writing what I feel about Myanmar education. I don’t quote any one or text. But later, I will try to do research on this. May the Lord Bless You.

No comments:

Post a Comment